Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Summer!

Every time I go to update this blog, the first thing I think to say is "Wow, I haven't updated in a while..."

So many things have changed since I last wrote, and believe me, they have been for the better. I finally officially graduated (With Honor, at that) and moved out of East Lansing for good! I wouldn't even say it was bitter sweet...in fact, I was long ready to go. I didn't really have anyone to say goodbye to except my coworkers and my mentor.

It feels so good to be home. I never thought I would be so excited to be in Muskegon. Work keeps me busy (I transferred my job location, so now I work in Grand Rapids),  and because I commute for 40 minutes each way, it makes the day long! I can't complain though - I love my job and there are always plenty of things to keep me busy. Other than that, I've had lots of time to declutter and relax.
As far as crochet goes, I haven't started a lot of new projects. I have my hooks, but my supplies and yarn are between my dad's, mom's and uncle's. I did begin a bright yellow doily, and I am hoping to make quite a bit of progress on that next time I visit my mom (I left it there).

BUT I did start a new craft - cross stitching!! I have been working on an embroidery website for work, and knowing nothing about embroidery at the start (yes, I know how that sounds, but long story) I decided I should learn how to do it! My mom used to cross stitch, so she was a great resource. It was so incredibly easy to learn and I found more than half the supplies I needed at the Goodwill for SUPER cheap.

For my first project, I naturally chose a more difficult pattern that I found on Etsy. Still, it was easy to do, just time consuming. I LOVE the way it turned out and I LOVE the frame I found for it at the thrift store - the frame was only $1 and just happened to be the right size! The little things make me so happy.

I did purchase a magnet board at JoAnns with a 40% off coupon, and it was well worth the money. It makes it really easy to keep track of the areas you've completed.



My wonderful mother also found me a TON of floss at a yard sale for $1.50!! I categorized it all by number (and thankfully whoever owned it before I kept track of the numbers), and now I have this pretty little box full of all sorts of lovely colors.


My last completion was this cute little Boba Fett - I found a pixel picture which was easy to follow as a cross stitch pattern and I added the ground and heart (that's hard to see). I found this frame thrifting as well, and it was worth the $1.50 I paid. It is now sitting on my work desk.


My current project is a girl in a rain jacket holding an umbrella. I went thrifting for pattern books and hit the jackpot (especially when the sticker colors on them made them 50% off that day). The pattern for her was in one of those books. The great thing about cross stitch, like crochet, is that the patterns and supplies are easy to find at thrift stores. I've found hoops, thread, needles, TONS of books, fabric, and more for next to nothing.


Now that I don't have classes, I want to get into the habit of updating more often! Hope all is well with the rest of you!


No comments:

Post a Comment